22 May 2012

Running

photo by aarmono
It's 8:30 on a Monday night, and if you told me to go to bed right now, I'd fall asleep. I didn't realize how exhausting my new lifestyle would be. I watch a lot of tv and movies, and characters will often wake up an hour before work to go for a jog and make it through work and other social engagements without seeming remotely tired. I, apparently, am not one of those people. Of course, it's only been 3 weeks, and I'm still fairly new to the soreness.

I was in runner in junior high. Track and field weren't a serious thing, but once a month P.E. has a mile run, which I actually found fun. There was also a 'run club' at our school where we'd run around the track after school. I don't really remember the purpose besides hanging out with my friends. I was overweight as a kid, but I did get that 'runner's high', and it kept me going.

So now, around 9 every night I'm trying to keep my eyes open to watch whatever television show is on that night. Last night was the series finale of House, and after 15 minutes or so I gave up and turned it off. I keep wondering if I'm overdoing my run, but I think the heat is truly the biggest factor. Yesterday, I was at a pool party, so I spent most of my day in the sun and being active so I was more exhausted than usual.

I've recently made a friend who is very into fitness, and some of his habits have rubbed off on me. He's more into bulking, while I am trying to cut. So running and yoga are good enough for me--plus, I have never stepped inside a gym in my life.

But here are a couple things I've noticed since I started running.

  • I'm tired. I don't mean like physically exhausting, but I mean wanting to take a nap or go to sleep. Of course I sleep about 6 hours a night and don't drink coffee or energy drinks; so, maybe this is the part I need to change in my daily routine.
  • I'm starving right after a run. Even if I eat or have a protein smoothie (with banana) before my run, I suddenly want a full English fry up after my run. Since I'm running to burn calories, this is a horrible result.
But I enjoy running. I'm starting on week 3 and I've been able to run faster and longer and I feel stronger. I've also lost a few pounds, which is a bonus. I think a change in diet would be a lot more help too.

No comments: