15 December 2011

David Villa Breaks His Leg: I Love Football

Photo by David Ramos/Getty Images Europe

I love football. Yes, I'm an American and I call it football, because I have no allegiance to the football Americans play. I am a strong supporter of the MLS and hope it one day reaches the levels of all the other leagues in the US. I'm not a giant sports fan, but there is nothing that makes me as passionate as this sport.

My family is latino, and not to be stereotypical but we love fútbol. I've watched it ever since I was a child, but it wasn't until two years ago that my heart and soul realized it was a true passion. In a house full of mostly women, sports was not a big deal (even though my aunt is a huge baseball and basketball fan), but anytime the World Cup comes around—or El Salvador plays Mexico—suddenly fútbol is the most important thing in the world. I've always remembered my Gran waking up at the crack of dawn to watch any/all the World Cup matches. I always caught the teams I care about, but she needs them all.

The 2010 World Cup really awoke my love for fútbol. I don't know if it's because my team won or because I was finally capable of realizing not all sports are rubbish. I even called in sick to work one day to watch the semi-finals. This is something I used to laugh at people for doing, but I finally just got it. I didn't want to miss that match, and radio or recording it just isn't the same. I was rooting for Spain, after Australia was soon kicked out at Group stage, and when my boys made it all the way, I shed a tear as Iniesta made the championship goal.

Out of all the amazing players on Spain, something about David Villa caught my eye. Yeah, he was cute, but he was good. He was brilliant. On Barça he is often overshadowed by Messi, but Villa is just so spot on and professional that I couldn't help but grow fond of him. I watched Barça religiously for a year, and I really loved the team. I know La Liga can be a bit or a bore sometimes because Barça is always winning, but isn't that what you want your team to do? Be the best they can? I don't mind good teams, but I do mind cocky players and fans, which is why I'm not as big of a fan of Barça as I used to be, but I am still a huge fan of David Villa, which is why this morning I heard such sad news.

I woke up to read FOX Soccer's Facebook announce that David Villa had broken his leg while playing Al Sadd. FSC continued to say to Villa will be out for six months. I'll be honest, it really really sucked. Not only is he my favorite player, but he rekindled my love for the sport. He's a great athlete and seemed like a genuinely nice (non-cocky) guy in interviews. Every time Pep doesn't start him I feel a little sad, but knowing his leg and broken and he won't be playing until June is upsetting. What am I going to do? I was counting on these matches to get me through the time of waiting for the MLS to return. I'll still watch Barça, when I can, but it just won't be the same.

Villa once said that he wants to play with Barcelona until he retires, but according to the aforementioned Fox Soccer article there are rumors of a transfer in January. I am usually against such things since he's my favorite player on one of my favorite teams, but when the article mentioned Liverpool I got a little happy. I've been trying to like a Barclay's Premier League club, but none of them have truly won my heart. Liverpool is close, but I keep forgetting to watch matches. I do know the players, because many friends and a few celebs of mine support them. I also use them on FIFA '12 when I play with the EPL. If Villa were to transfer to Liverpool, I think I'd be ecstatic, and he would make a good pair to Saurez. But if he were to transfer to Chelsea I can't say I'd be happy, but I'd start watching Chelsea matches. Most likely, the rumors are rumors and Villa will stay put at Barça. I hope he makes it through his injury and comes back strong in June but hopefully earlier than that.

No comments: